Thanks for dropping by
Good of you to be here: welcome to the blog. Not sure what it's going to feature. Early days. Bits and pieces, I suppose. It won't be a diary. I already keep a diary and, a few years after the events, publish some of it. There are two volumes now in print: 'Breaking the Code' is essentially about the reality of political life in Britain and covers the years from the fall of Margaret Thatcher to the arrival of David Cameron (most people seem to think it's my best book); 'Something Sensational to Read in the Train' covers my life from 1959 to 1999. I've been asked to publish another volume to run from 2000 to 2020. We'll see if I make it. Meanwhile, thanks for dropping by. Do come again. I'm thinking of simply posting odds and end designed to spread a little happiness. (If you enjoy P G Wodehouse spoofs, there's one just below.) Today I'm sharing the great American baseball player Satchel Paige's Six Rules for Staying Young. He had them printed on his business card.
1. Avoid fried meats, which angry up the blood.
2. If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.
3. Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.
4. Go very light on the vices such as carrying on in society. The social ramble ain't restful.
5. Avoid running at all times.
6. Don't look back; something might be gaining on you.